AEAAC logo horizontal colour 299

If you or someone you know is at immediate risk or harm call 911
For 24 hour support and referral, call Family Violence Info Line 310-1818

If you or someone you know is at immediate risk or harm call 911
For 24 hour support and referral, call Family Violence Info Line 310-1818

Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background

Getting Help

Currently, if there are no resources identified in your area. If you are in need of support for Elder Abuse, please contact the Provincial Family Violence Line at 310-1818.

If you are aware of resources in your area that are not listed, please contact us at to let us know.


North Region

Edmonton and Area

St. Albert and Area

Strathcona County

Grande Prairie and Area

The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo

Central Region

 Red Deer and Area

Battle River, Camrose and Wetaskiwin Counties

South Region

Calgary and Area

Lethbridge and Area

Medicine Hat and Area

Strathcona County

In case of emergency and immediate danger, please call 9-1-1

Support Services:

Strathcona County 24 hour help line: 780-464-7233

Strathcona County Elder Abuse Response Network
Strathcona County Family & Community Services: 780-464-4044
- Provides information and support for seniors experiencing abuse and for those concerned about the well being of a senior.
- The network has representation from a Safe place , RCMP, Family & Community Services, Alberta Health Services, Covenant Health. PCN and Heartland housing.

As a province-wide network of professionals working to increase community awareness, AEAAC is represented by communities across Alberta.

If you or someone you know is experiencing elder abuse and would like some information and help, please see the Getting Help section for resources and contact information.

If you would like more general information about the Alberta Elder Abuse Awareness Council please contact the representative in your community.

Safety Plan

Like all forms of family abuse, Elder Abuse is profoundly complex. For a variety of reasons, people will remain in abuse relationships or in an abusive situation. A safety plan can be a key element in keeping you – or someone you love- safe.

Here are some important guidelines to help you develop a safety plan for yourself or a loved one.

Keep important contact numbers in a trusted location for quick use.

Plan an escape route out of your home, including passage to a safe location such as a neighbour, friend, family member etc.

Ensure that some form of emergency transportation is available if you should need it.

Gather important papers such as birth certificates, social insurance numbers, citizenship and immigration papers, Alberta Health Care cards, etc. Put these in a safe place, preferably not in your home, such as a safety deposit box or with a trusted friend.

Put together a suitcase of essential items such as clothing and medicines and store them in a safe place. Make plans for any pets that you have that you are unable to take and that you cannot leave behind.

Work out a code word that can be used on the phone with a person you trust. The code could mean to contact the police or to inform them that you are leaving.

Whenever calling a shelter or other resources, phone another number or press several numbers randomly immediately afterwards, so that your partner/caregiver cannot press the redial button and find out whom you were speaking with.

Whenever searching the internet for resources (including this web site) remember to delete your web site history so that your partner/caregiver can not view the safety plan, shelter numbers, etc. Here's how to do that:
  • on the tool bar of your web browser, select "tools"
  • on that menu, select "internet options"
  • in the "history" box (3rd box down) select "clear history"
If you have a support person that your partner/caregiver is not aware of, keep that person's name and address confidential.

Keep a written journal of date, time and details of any abuse.

(adapted from the Action Committee Against Violence Safety Plan)

For A Loved One

If someone you know or love is being abused, it is critical that you take action to help protect the rights, safety and dignity of that person.

Here is what you can do:

  • If you believe someone is experiencing abuse and is in imminent danger, call the police immediately by dialing 911.

  • If there is no imminent danger call the dispatch line for your local police service. The police may also be able to provide information on other community resources.

  • If the abuse is happening within a public care facility – such as a lodge, hospital, long-term care facility - you are required by law to report it to Protections for Persons in Care at 1-888-357-9339.

  • Talk to the person you are concerned about. Be open and compassionate about your concerns. Take time and care to ensure that the person knows that the abuse is not their fault and that help is available.

  • Find out about help in your community (see side menu). Encourage and/or assist the person to contact community agencies.

  • Keep checking on what that person wants. Continue to inquire as to what support is needed from you.

  • Unless the person who is being abused is unable to care for themselves or make good personal decisions because of a disability, he or she has the right to choose where and how to live.

If the person chooses not to leave the abusive situation:
  • do not be judgmental
  • understand that leaving an abusive situation is not easy for anyone
  • remind your loved one that you are there for support if and when it is needed

You can also call the provincial Family Violence Information Line toll free (310 – 1818) for resource information in your area.

For Yourself

If you are being abused, there is help available. Here is what you can do:

Start by calling the Police
You might think that the situation is not serious enough to involve the police. You might be right. Or you might not. In any case, calling the police can help you to determine if the situation is criminal in nature or not. The police may also be able to provide information on other community resources.

If you are in immediate danger leave the situation
Go to a safe place immediately, such as a neighbour, friend or relative. Go into a business or ask to be taken to a shelter. If you are unable to leave your home, call 9-1-1 immediately.

Take legal action
All forms of abuse are immoral. Some forms are illegal. You may want to think about a court protection order that would stop the abusive person from having contact with you.

Confide in someone you trust
Talk to someone you trust about what is happening:

  • friend or family member
  • public health nurse
  • social worker
  • home care worker
  • someone at your place of worship
  • a doctor

Keep a record
Write down what is happening to you; keep a daily record. This will help you to document the abuse and help others assist you if you need it.

Know that it is not your fault and help is available. Please ask for help because you do not deserve to be abused. Many groups in your community want to help you to protect your rights, safety and your dignity.

Contact AEAAC in your community to find out more about the help available to you where you live.

You can also call the provincial Family Violence Information Line toll free (310 – 1818) for resource information in your area.

Alberta Seniors and Housing

Thank you to Alberta Seniors and Housing for their ongoing support as a Funder and Partner

Our Values

Our belief is that no one organization has a broad enough scope to address the complex issue of elder abuse in its entirety. A truly effective community response involves many stakeholders working in collaboration.

Copyright © 2019 Alberta Elder Abuse Awareness Council (A.E.A.A.C)
All Rights Reserved.

Website design and hosted by